Follow this recipe for a vegetarian or vegan shepherds pie. This dish was developed as a wine paring recipe for WTSO. Find great wine deals at www.wtso.com Use code: BONVIVANT to save $10.
Vegetarian Shepherds Pie | Mushroom Walnut Shepherds Pie
This vegetarian take on the classic shepherds pie uses mushrooms, walnuts and lentils in place of meat for a comforting one pot dinner. It’s warm and hearty flavors bake together to form a rich savory gravy topped with herbed mashed potatoes. It’s the perfect thing to enjoy on a cool night.
Live Online Cooking Classes
To learn more interesting recipes check out my weekly live cooking classes.
If you would like to join a cooking class sign up for a free week of classes.
Mushroom Walnut Shepards Pie
- Shepherds Pie Filling
- 4 tbs Butter
- (sub Olive Oil for Vegan)
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 lb Mushrooms Sliced (suggest baby bellas, cremini or other flavorful mushroom)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Crushed 1 C Chopped Walnuts
- 3-4 Carrots diced
- 2-3 Stalks of Celery diced 2 Cans of Black Lentils
- 1 C Red Wine
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 2 tbs arrowroot (sub Corn Starch)
- Make a bouquet Garni with fresh herbs
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme 2 stems of rosemary 2 bay leaves
- Mashed Potato Topping
- 3 lbs golden potatoes
- 1/2 Stick Butter (sub Vegan Butter)
- Fresh Chives Diced
- 1/2 C Milk (sub oat or almond milk)
- 1-2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Mashed Potato Topping
- Cut potatoes in medium sized chunks. I personally like the rustic peel on mashed potatoes in this dish, but if you prefer you can also peel the potatoes.
- Place them in a large stock pot to boil with salted water. Once potatoes are tender drain them.
- Instant Pot Instructions
- If using an Instant Pot to cook the potatoes, place 2-3 C of water in the bottom of the main insert.
- Place potatoes into the instant pot. Liberally salt. Cook under pressure for 8 min and immediately release pressure. Drain and prepare to mash the potatoes.
- To mash the potatoes you can use a stand mixer, hand mixer, emersion blender, or old fashioned potato masher. Add all the additional ingredients and whip or mash with your desired method. Set mashed potatoes aside.
- N ote: Potatoes can develop a pasty glue-like quality when overworked. I find an emersion blender overworks the potatoes and creates this weird texture very quickly. If this is your only means of making mashed potatoes I suggest moving the blender in a up and down motion and not stirring. I find this helps improve the texture.
- Prepare your vegetables for the filling. Dice carrots, slice mushrooms, dice onion, dice celery. Have everything cut up and ready.
- Using a cast iron skillet or dutch oven, melt butter (or heat olive oil). Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery first. Lightly salt. Cook about 5 mins until starting to become softened. Then add mushrooms. Allow them to sauté and release their juices. Add more oil or butter if necessary. Mushrooms need fat to cook properly.
- Next rinse the lentils and add them along with the red wine, tomato paste, broth and walnuts. Place the bouquet garni (bundle of fresh herbs) on top and cover the dish. Let it simmer on medium heat for 10-15 min. Check it to make sure liquid hasn’t evaporated and stir occasionally to avoid the bottom burning.
- After everything has simmered together remove the herbs and taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Now sprinkle the arrowroot or cornstarch on top. This will mix with the liquid and make a gravy like sauce. Avoid dumping it all in one area or it will cause lumps. Sprinkle it across the top of the dish trying to evenly distribute it. Now mix it into the dish and let it simmer for a minute or two to thicken. Once done, turn off the heat and start to assemble the dish.
- Assembling the Shepards Pie
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Spread the potatoes on top of the filling in an even layer. Then take a fork make diagonal marks across the top of the potatoes. Now do the same in the opposite direction to make a cross hatch pattern. Doing this creates a nice brown edges on the crust.
- Bake for 30-35 min until potatoes are browned at the edges and the dish is bubbly.
- Note: If potatoes are not browned enough by the end of the cooking time, place the dish under the broiler for 5-10 min. Watch it carefully to keep it from burning.
© 2021 This recipe is prepared by Bonvivantfoodandwine.com