Chicken Tinga Tacos are from the Puebla region of Mexico and combine the smoky taste of Chipotle in a tomato sauce. The Tinga has almost a creamy taste without the use of any actual cream. Although don’t let this stop you from topping it with sour cream as the flavors combine beautifully.
In this recipe I add cabbage at the end of cooking. I have never seen another Tinga recipe do this, but a friend told me it’s the way her grandmother always made it and since then I’ve been adding it to mine. I love the flavor and crunch it provides and I always love sneaking in more vegetables.
Chicken Tinga Tacos- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs boneless chicken. Thighs or breast.
- You can also get a rotisserie chicken and pull the meat or make a stewed chicken in the Instant Pot ahead of time
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 Chipotle peppers in adobo with a spoonful of sauce
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional add on:
- Optional 1/2 head shredded cabbage.
- Lime wedges
- Sour Cream
- Step 1: Prepare the sauce: Take all the sauce ingredients and place them in a blender cup. I use a high powered blender like a vitamix and it is not necessary to chop the vegetables. Purée till smooth.
- Step 2: Add the blended sauce to the instant pot.
- Step 3: Add the chicken. If you are using chicken pieces cut them into bite sized chunks. If you are using a whole chicken shred the meat before adding it.
- If using raw chicken cook under pressure for pressure for 5 mins. Do not add the cabbage at this point.
- If you are using pre-cooked meat cook under pressure for 2 mins and add the cabbage to cook with the meat.
- Immediately release the pressure
- If you used cooked meat, you dish is done and serve. If you used raw meat, move on to step 3.
- Step 3: Add cabbage set Instant Pot to zero and press start. At this setting the pot will just come to pressure and then beep. Immediately release pressure.
- Now the tacos are ready to assemble and serve with toppings.
- Watch the video below to see how to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot
© 2020 This recipe is prepared by Bonvivantfoodandwine.com