So what does the Instant Pot have to do with cheese sauce? I’ve found that when I quickly cook my cashews in the Instant Pot, the texture of nut milk or vegan cheese has a much creamier, silkier texture. Also, it’s something I can make much faster than when I use the soaking method. I just can’t plan that far ahead, and I love that when I need a batch of cashew milk or cheese sauce, I can whip it up in only a few minutes.
I have to tell you this cheese sauce is really tasty. My vegan-opposed, carnivore husband couldn’t believe it wasn’t made with cheese. My kids gobbled it up. Everyone absolutely loved it. Although I’m not vegan, I like having things I can make for friends who are vegan or dairy free. This is a huge hit and so easy.
Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce - Instant Pot
- 1.5 c cashews
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 can Rotel style tomatoes and chilies
- 1/2-1 C nutritional yeast
- 1/4-1/3 C avocado oil
- Place cashews onion and garlic in the instant pot. Add 2 cups water and pressure cook for 1 minute. Release steam immediately.
- Pour mixture through a strainer and retain the cashews, onion and garlic. Discard water they were cooked in.
- Next add the cashews, onion and garlic to the a blender cup. Add 1/2-2/3 can of Rotel type tomatoes. If you like to have a chunkier cheese sauce, reserve some of the tomatoes to add back in at the end. Add just enough water to get the mixture moving through the blender. Start with a small amount of water and add more slowly while the mix is blending. You don't want the sauce to get too thin. Once the sauce is freely moving through the blender, continue to blend for a couple of minutes to make sure it's smooth. Then slowly drizzle in the avocado oil while it's blending. This really makes the texture creamy. Without the oil, the texture stays a little grainy, but the oil makes it have the mouth feel of real cheese sauce. Once the mixture is smooth, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- It can be reheated easily and makes a great thing to keep on hand.
© 2021 This recipe is prepared by Bonvivantfoodandwine.com