I’ve moved to and away from San Diego 3 times in my life. In those times when I’m away the things I always miss are how bright and warm the sun is in January, how beautiful the views are driving down coast highway, and tacos. I seriously day dream about tacos when I’m not in California. Tacos here aren’t just cooked meat between a tortilla. Tacos are filled with slow braised meats in sauces with warming spices like cloves, and cumin. While it’s hard to pick just one of filling to be my favorite, barbacoa is definitely in the top 3.
This Instant Pot Barbacoa is so quick and bursting with flavor. By cooking it in the instant pot you have meat that is so tender it melts in your mouth and a rich sauce that’s perfect for a taco or served or rice for more or a burrito bowl style meal. Think Chipolte.
You can experiment with the sauce to meat ratio in this dish. You may want to make more sauce if you're cooking a large roast, or you may want to have a less saucy dish. I like having a bit of extra gravy with the meat. As I mentioned above this also makes an excellent burrito bowl dish because the rice can soak up all that yummy sauce.
This recipe can also be easily doubled.
* This recipe should work in both a 6qt or 8qt without adjustments to the liquid.
- Braising Sauce
- 1 Can Rotel style Tomatoes and Chilis ( I use an organic brand)
- 1/2 onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 C lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS cumin
- 1 TBS oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp juniper berries
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce (use more for spice flavor)
- 1tbs of adobo sauce from Chipotle
- 3 lbs cubed chuck or round roast
- Suggested Taco Toppings:
- sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Sliced Radishes
- Cotija Cheese
- Place all the sauce ingredients in the cup of a high powered blender and blend till smooth.
- Cut your roast into cube pieces. This will allow it to cook and be very tender faster than if the roast was cooked whole. Once your meat is cut, then place it in the insert of your instant pot. Pour the braising sauce over the meat. Cook at high pressure for 15 mins. Instantly release the pressure and serve.
- Seriously that's it. It's that easy!
© 2021 This recipe is prepared by Bonvivantfoodandwine.com