What if you could have all the flavor of Chinese Take-Out egg rolls but with out all the grease and gluten? Sounds like a dream? So this isn’t a low carb version but it’s a way to get all the flavors of an egg roll and wide rice noodles are used to give a satisfying toothsome chew the the bowl.
- 1 lb Ground Pork (sub ground chicken)
- 1 C grated carrots
- 1 Yellow Onion grated or finely chopped
- 1 head of cabbage shredded
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 TBS Avocado Oil
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1/2 bag wide rice noodles
- 1/4 Coconut Aminos (Sub Soy Sauce)
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce
- 1 inch ginger piece
- This recipe is made for a 6qt Instant Pot. It will work if an 8qt if you double all ingredients.
- Let's start with the sauce. Mix the ingredient together in a blender. I like using the Vitamix because it makes quick work of the ginger, but use whatever blender you have. Once blended set aside.
- Put the ground pork in the Instant Pot and press sauté. Add the onions and garlic (if using mushrooms cook them now). As the meat browns add the Chinese five spice. Once meat is cooked, add the water. Just pour it over the meat. Then add the noodles. Pour the avocado oil over the noodles and massage slightly to coat the noodles with the oil. This will prevent them from sticking together. Use the back of a spatula to kind of compress the noodles so that they are tightly packed.
- Next add the cabbage, carrots and sauce. Layering in this way is a key step. This traps the noodles between the water below and the cabbage above and steams the noodles as they cook. This method cooks them to the right amount of doneness without making them soggy.
- Put the lid on and cook for 2 mins. When done release the pressure immediately. I use tongs to toss the noodles with the other ingredients. Then add the cilantro and toss again. Taste and add more salt if needed. Because the coconut aminos are so salty in flavor often no more salt is needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
© 2020 This recipe is prepared by Bonvivantfoodandwine.com